Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Charms

Charms

My lucky fill-in-the-blank.
How does an object earn

our devotion, and how come
certain items yield favorable

outcomes. The heavy clusters
of green plastic grapes dangling

from my earlobes, chosen in
fourth grade to help me pass

my math tests, which,
apparently, conjured three

separate and unexpected fire
alarms in school. You don’t

know a belonging is lucky until
something good happens while

you’re holding it. The blue
guitar pick on the floor of

the post office, waiting for me.
When I drink from the coffee mug

with my name painted in black
script across it, the day will be

good, or will improve. The trick
is to recognize the good luck charm

amidst the junk surrounding you,
the gold lamp with its belly full

of a genie in a headlock versus
the gold lamp full of nothing.

4 comments

  1. I admire those you carry a lucky penny or whatever and truly believe it has power.

    The line that stands out for the truth it holds: "You don't // know a belonging is lucky until / something good happens while / you're holding it."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been fascinated by charms, never really understood their attraction. Your poem helps me see them in a new light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute...I am now collecting Pandora charms because it was gifted to me, and until the bracelet is filled this has to go on apparently! : )

    Personally I am not a charm person and cannot see meaning in charms although I have to admit that I like shiny little objects as a cat would for example.

    Great to see you Hannah...missed reading you : )

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.