Friday, August 23, 2013

On Creativity: Juliet Wilson on Writing, Crafting and Procraftination


Today, I’m happy to share poet and artist Juliet Wilson’s thoughts On Creativity.


Writing, Crafting and Procraftination

One of Juliet's poetry windchimes

I was working on my novel this morning and quite quickly got stuck. The story seemed to have got into a rut of nothing much significant happening. I stared at the computer screen for a while then gave up. Time to do some crafting!

So I sat down and picked up my latest sewing project. Once I'd reminded myself of what I was to do next, I found my mind wandering to my novel. My fingers sewed away while my brain came up with ideas that have now transformed the scene I was struggling with into a vibrant and essential part of the story (well, we can all dream, can't we!).

It was also that same session of crafting that unblocked my ideas for what specifically I was going to write in this guest post!

I love writing and I love crafting and the two can work together in perfect harmony. Crafting gives me a screen break to avoid eye-strain and backache and keeps my fingers busy while my mind is free to wander over plot twists or word choices.

I also like experimenting with bringing the two together. I recently made some poetry wind-chimes that were exhibited in the Forest Café in Edinburgh. I'm currently making poetry collages to sell in my Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop.

The problem is though, with all the crafting I do, am I suffering from procraftination (the act of crafting when you should be writing)? It's easy to recognise that my crafting has a positive effect on my writing, but would I actually write more if I didn't craft?






What do you think, readers? How do you procraftinate? Is it helpful to you or not?




 ---
 Interested in sharing your thoughts On Creativity (process, inspiration, and creative challenges) in a guest post here? Contact me.

6 comments

  1. Very good post!
    I get this. My "craft" is in the kitchen. I bake when I should be writing, but often when I am stirring ingredients it allows my mind to free-fall and many of my writing ideas pop into my head at that time. The added bonus of course is that I have a tasty baked good to eat when I go back to my computer!
    (I can do the same thing when I wash up!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Washing dishes is always good thinking time for me, too (and what the world needs now is more baked goods!). Thanks for reading and your comments, Kat!

      Delete
  2. I am fortunate - a crafting break does seem to give my mind a chance to wander about and then refocus on a writing task - but I am so lame at crafting that I almost never am tempted to carry it on very long!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I were crafty, but I am not always good at following the steps! (Or cutting in a straight line).

      Delete
  3. Thanks for commenting Kat and Rabbits Guy, cooking is definitely a good one, Kat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to sew and do needlework, but arthritis has made that more difficult. I love the idea of poetry collages and windchimes. Something to think about...my breaks tend to include something physical (whether it's cleaning the house or a workout). Movement seems to knock loose the stuck places.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.