Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Beneficial Quiet

Beneficial Quiet

The quiet in which you can go looking
for the place that pokes out from behind
this place A quiet that runs if you chase it
It is a cave clinging to each sound Water
beading and falling into a small collection
of water Seconds of pissed off birdsong
you hear the harmonica in Do you know how
expensive sounds are and how hard they are
to hear past The noisier quiet will steam off
to reveal a lusher quiet No machines No one
speaking Everything thinking

5 comments

  1. Another lovely piece, Hannah. I like what your doing (or, err, not doing) with punctuation lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Drew! I'm not sure about the punctuation ("Where has all the punctuation gone?" as Paula Cole once sang)....but it just hasn't come back yet. I sometimes try to add it back in, but it bugs my eye right now. We'll see :).

      Delete
  2. I like this a lot, Hannah, especially that almost-reverie interrupted with "pissed off birdsong". As I came to learn from a book about silence, quiet is anything but.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Maureen! I read (and LOVED) that book, based on your recommendation!

      Delete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.