Wednesday, October 26, 2011

We Look for Migration

We Look for Migration

For months now,
I notice what seem

to be to leaves floating
and flapping in the air

over the freeway, above
my windshield and car.

Butterflies. Buttery
yellow and orange,

mottled brown.
I see them and drive

beneath them,
their small, fervent

thrashing. Winged
things always look

like they are leaving.
Above the butterflies,

clusters of black birds.
For months, I’ve read

the scattered tea leaves
of their flight as departure.

Where we look for
migration, we will see

migration. If we anticipate
what we think we know

is coming, we won’t be
as startled by what it

brings, the evening where
the afternoon once was.

7 comments

  1. Marvelous! I so love "Winged things always look like they are leaving." I'm glad you've seen the butterflies in migration. Love the art, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is finally cold here and I'll be on the look out for flapping wings.

    Beautiful poem Hannah.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful, Hannah. Your "Winged / things always look // like they are leaving." is a marvelous line.

    The encaustics are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this thought when I was looking at the birds the other day and as they flew by they looked like the leaves on the trees...An incredibly warm poem Hannah!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love "the scattered tea leaves/of their flight"

    ReplyDelete
  6. "winged things always look like they are leaving" just too beautiful, heart ache almost :) thanks for writing and sharing this with us

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.