Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Get Your Bearings

Get Your Bearings

Get your bearings here,
select them from this bin,
little and silver. Confront
their smallness. Roll them
around in your hand, cold,
molecular. Hardware is
everywhere, tucked as
unobtrusively in joints
as grammar in your mother
tongue. Get your bearings,
no, not those, those are
spoken for. By me. My
bearings won’t be much
help to you. What are you
attracted to here, in parts,
I mean, what gets your gears
spinning. Would you look
at your reflection in these,
have you ever seen yourself
look more capable or radiant.

6 comments

  1. I love this Hannah. Such a great play on words. I'd like to see how you might visualize this in video.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is unexpected coming from you, did you ever look for bearings? In my work, I am always sifting my fingers through little bearings, nuts and bolts, just as you described. : ) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always found the heft, shine and absolute sphericality (?) of bearings something of beauty. More so now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that image, and your poem. I wish it were so easy as selecting bearings from a bin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Hardware is
    everywhere, tucked as
    unobtrusively in joints
    as grammar in your mother
    tongue."

    Not many words to express this, Hannah, only that your poetry keeps improving (if that's possible, it's already first rate). Beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ooo i love this, especially the music of the the way it swings into the end

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.