Thursday, February 10, 2011

Discovery

Discovery

You have hit the nail
on the hammer,

have crammed the universe
into a speech bubble.

You have cured
the common cold,

have slid the manhole’s lid
aside to reveal a hole,

the earth’s mouth fallen
open, impressed.

You made gravity.
You found it. You founded it.

You scribbled a shape on a napkin,
a bison, an animal

cracker with one leg
missing, and called it a country.

You pointed at some shore
you had not seen before,

and dragged your boat to it
that you might walk

through the sand of a new
land, you discovered it.

We knew you had it
in you all along, we say,

a switch in the cavity
of your body

that just had to be
nudged up.

7 comments

  1. I'm 'chewing the fat' on some of the symbolism, metaphors. 'the manhole', '...gravity found it, 'founded'? My eyes (QQ) see the words and I love your creativity, butt<= (me), 'no comprendo'. Help!!!!!

    Is it too early?
    I've been up since 3am (sn0rrr)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the boat dragged to unseen shore and all the rest...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this one should be a video candidate.

    The manhole line is terrific.

    I love those space beings with the merged speech bubble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still looking for my switch, but a tad more optimistic now. Good, good stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "have slid the manhole’s lid
    aside to reveal a hole,

    the earth’s mouth fallen
    open, impressed."

    Hannah, the beauty of this, my mouth falls open, impressed.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.