Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Choose

Choose

Which way to begin a day,
the order of operations. Whether
you are hungry. The temperature
of the water you cause to course
over you, the level of gentleness with yourself
as you step from the shower and bring the towel
to your skin.

Whether you will leave the house
or stay in. Whether you think of all
you will accomplish in this day,
or spend the day released from any obligation.

Which people to speak with, whether
to phone them or find them
so that you might look into their faces
as you speak. Which words to use
as you compose an email,
how to end it, with Yours or Best or Cheers.
With what punctuation.

Whether you will be cognizant of time,
touching your phone to revive its black screen
into bright mindfulness, or if you will let
the hours flow uncounted.

Which bread to eat, and how much of it.
Which ingredients you require more of,
and how you will obtain them.

Whether you will walk down the busy block
or the quiet one. Which person walking their dog
will you smile at, which person will you avoid.

Which answer you select when asked what you do
for a living, which crosswalks you will run across
and which you will plod into.

Whether you look at your reflection as you pass it
in the store windows, whether you look at the people
inside of the stores. Whether you open yourself
to the evening or choose a task to busy yourself with.

Which level of fatigue or routine prompts you to bed,
and which pictures and sounds you draw, like transparent
curtains, over the light of your mind as it dims.

4 comments

  1. oh gosh, all those choices are quite exhausting, I think I'll just have another cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This poem is great for reminding me I have a choice in how I approach my day, and my life. We are in control of more than we acknowledge, and simple things can bring us happiness. I like how you close the poem. I like to fall asleep with my own thoughts, and my husband likes to fall asleep with the TV on.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.