Thursday, May 6, 2010

An Expedition

An Expedition

Let’s fill the field with gear we do not own:
a tent here, where the earth is flat and dry,
and on this side, the trunk full of paper
and microscope slides ready to clasp
glass palms around life forms, samples.
We are here to find examples, to collect
a piece that represents the whole, one moment
standing in for elephantine millenniums.
Without telescope or sextant. No tool is sensitive
enough for what we need: a way to record
how the sky above us will look in ten years,
in twenty, and where we will be watching
from then. And the charts to help us wander
back here. Sign post into night sky, that pulse
ricocheting inside of you the aftershock
of my hammer beating a hole in the heavens.

3 comments

  1. I've read a few times. I love it! And though I don't always "love" the illustration, I love this one. There's something extremely appealing about it, and your poem.

    "the microscope slides ready to clasp glass palms around life forms, samples. We are here to find examples..." - A wonderful description of slides!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Hannah. I always sound like a parrot when I comment on your poems, but I love it, too! I love the rhythm and flow of the lines.

    It's awesome how the poem goes from the "scientific" to the poetic or human questions, as in how the sky will look in ten or twenty years and "where we will be watching then." I love those questions. Beautiful poem!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Annie!!!

    you're such a talent.

    California is fab and I totally owe you a long juicy letter! want some peace and time to reply, so I will probably write it when home - lol
    But honestly I'm super sad to be missing you and just determined to meet with you next time as judging from my disappointment, it's something we just HAVE to do!!!

    huge hug.

    thea.
    xx

    P.S. I mean it!!!! We have a raincheck!!!

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.