Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Ceyx to Halycon

Ceyx to Halycon

A bright pitchfork of lightning
plunged into the deck.

I was not prepared for the impact,
the violence of the storm

clawing up our ship.
The boat let the ocean in, air sinking

beneath the water.
In all the commotion, I needed

something stationary
to hang onto, so I thought

of you, the bone
in your shoulder that my fingers

find, the birdlike
energy of your hands. When I wash

up onshore, my body
curled in the wet sand, waves reaching

over me like bedsheets,
I hope it will be you that finds me

so you can also know
every act of nature brings us together.

4 comments

  1. makes me think of that girl who just sailed around the world...

    thea.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice feminist upgrade on the myth: It isn't just Halycon who throws herself to the sea in grief for her mate, it's Ceyx as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Genius poetic fusion of myth & love.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.