Friday, December 19, 2014

Reading Recommendations?

I have learned to treasure book recommendations. Not just someone's mild tweet or positive rating--but when someone tells me, "You absolutely must read THIS."

Over the holidays, I love to catch up on my reading for pleasure (even typing this makes me feel rather giddy). So, lovely readers and friends...what have you read that you feel compelled to praise or share? Please and thanks.


A few of the books I read and LOVED LOVED LOVED this year: Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Good Squad; Leslie Jamison's The Empathy Exams, Marjane Satrapi's Persepolis, and Lesle Lewis's A Boot's a Boot.



Spotted in San Francisco, near City Lights Bookstore!

3 comments

  1. Anthony Doerr's 'All the Light We Cannot See'; Brian Turner's 'My Life as a Foreign Country'; Teresa Carson's 'Elegy for the Floater' and 'My Crooked House' (poetry); Denise Kernan's 'The Girls of Atomic City'; Kelly Cherry's 'A Kind of Dream' (stories)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been recommending "The Storied Life of AJ Fikry" by Gabrielle Zevin to every book-lover I know. Other notable top picks this year for me: "Black Chalk" by Christopher J. Yates, "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt (which I'm sure you've heard everywhere, but really stands up!), and both "An Untamed State" and "Bad Feminist" by Roxane Gay. If you're even a little interested in SF, "The Martian" by Andy Weir is also excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am still loving Gregory Robinson's beautiful debut from Rose Metal Press, All Movies Love The Moon.

    http://www.rosemetalpress.com/Catalog/robinson.html

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.