Friday, April 15, 2011

Audio: Real Time

It's an Audio Friday today. I have a recording of "Real Time" for you (full text available here--audio link below).

While writing this poem, I was thinking about how art is one method we have of controlling the experience of time (well, at least it provides us this illusion). For the artist, writing a poem or creating art is an experience outside of time; our minds are synthesizing all of this information while our bodies move very little. I write most poems in 1-2 hours, but I am not aware of how long it is taking while writing (is it the same for you?). It feels like meditation or hypnosis. Also, anytime we write we are talking to people in the future--that totally blows my mind.

Something I especially love about poetry is that words, line breaks, and punctuation allow me to control pacing for the reader. A poems happens every time a reader looks at it--there is this interesting relationship between the reader and the words. I love imagining that I am reaching through the page and directly talking to my reader. (I'd say, "Hi there. I made this for you because you are wonderful.")

Hope you enjoy listening to it here. How does time work for you when you create or experience art?

4 comments

  1. Love how you are constantly attempting other methods of stimuli for your audience.

    Ah, to be youthful and fearless,
    letting the 'rain' soak you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the read poems Hannah! It sort of freaks me out to think that we would all be in sync to that level. The title Real time and the moving bar across the sound panel reminds me of fourier transform in the world of science. I too like you work outside of time when I work in my head. I never know what time is. It is a good place that mental bubble of hours.
    And finally your words certainly do reach ..powerful tool these words! Wishing you a great weekend...xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are wonderful too. My favorite thing in the world is losing track of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice reading, Hannah.

    I like the play of the title.

    Like you, I especially enjoy what can happen to a poem when you make one or another decision about an end stop, a line break, enjambment; and also how different readers create different interpretations.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.