Thursday, June 27, 2013

Ideally, Trust Yields Truth

Ideally, Trust Yields Truth

The certainty with which
we spell the name of one

we love, writing it on
the back of an envelope.

This letter will reach them,
no magic about it, just

the mail, a thing is here,
and then it is there, all

it takes is my address
and yours, the names

of two places sharing
an envelope. On the way

to the mailbox, I have
to stop to look up into

a tree, its leaves shifting
in the wind and light

like scales, reptilian.
Baby birds, a woman

across the street from me
calls out, and it takes

me a moment to hear
this as a question. No,

just leaves,
I tell her,
and she says, I like

to look at them, the
baby birds
and the

only thing I can think to
say back is Who doesn’t.

2 comments

  1. What a great way to start my day---to read this! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this kind of everyday, seemingly mundane encounter. Some such experiences seem to matter, get remembered, but we often can't say how or why. I hope it's not too corny to say the world if full of little miracles, and these leaves or baby birds are both candidates, with two women noticing. If we go with "only connect," this has been a pretty good day, no matter what happens with the love letter.

    ReplyDelete

The Storialist. All rights reserved. © Maira Gall.